The 2018 Suffolk Coastal Business & Community Awards took place on Thursday 15th March at The Hangar, Kesgrave Hall. Organised by Suffolk Coastal District Council, the Awards celebrated the business and community initiatives and successes that have taken place in Suffolk Coastal over the last 18 months.
The evening was hosted for a fourth time by Steve Allen a comedian, writer and presenter of BBC2’s The Mash Report and opened with a drinks reception sponsored by Gotelee Solicitors. Parker Communications provided a stunning set and flawless AV support throughout.
With a record number of entries for the awards this year, the judges had a tough job to shortlist the finalists and agree the winners. On the night there were more than 70 businesses and groups represented alongside the many individual finalists and distinguished guests.
Archway Carpets, Framlingham Business Association, Poppy’s Pantry and Felixstowe & Walton Untied FC were among the winners. A total of thirteen awards were presented throughout the evening, covering categories including Customer Focus, Services to the Community, People Development, Encouraging Tourism and Business Growth (full list below). The winners received an engraved trophy and all the finalists were awarded a bottle of Adnams Prosecco with their certificates.
The awards commenced once guests had dined on an impressive meal of Parma ham and mozzarella followed by Dingley Dell pork cutlet, roasted tomatoes and fondant potato, with toffee apple crumble tart for dessert. Then followed the awards presentations after which guests danced to live music from J.S. & The Lockerbillies.
Cllr TJ Haworth-Culf, Cabinet Member for Customers, Communities and Leisure at Suffolk Coastal District Council, described the evening:
“I am always surprised and heartened not just by the dedication and energy that people show in supporting their local communities, but also in the breadth of the ways that our winners find to help and support the community. I would like to thank them all, as well as all those who nominated them for these awards.
A big thank you also goes to our sponsors. The way these awards continue to go from strength to strength says a great deal about the fantastic community spirit across Suffolk Coastal and is one of the reasons this is such a fantastic place to live.”
Full list of winners and runners up
New Business of the Year sponsored by EB Carpets & Flooring
- WINNER: Suffolk Babies – for opening their own centre and developing and launching a free antenatal workshop for all pregnant women registered with Ipswich Hospital.
- RUNNERS UP: IP Twelve Lettings & Property Management & Inspirations CIC
Business Growth Award sponsored by Menta
- WINNER: Heavenly Hairstyling - for turning an old book shop into a successful hair and beauty salon, adding a spa on site and growing to a team of 12.
- RUNNERS UP: Archway Carpets & David Button Independent Funeral Services
Customer Focus Award sponsored by Christies Care
- WINNER: Archway Carpets - for their excellent customer feedback and commitment to be the best in customer service and to ensure the focus remains on the customer.
- RUNNERS UP: R&S Hardware & Tilley & Grace
Encouraging Tourism sponsored by Suffolk Places
- WINNER: Framlingham Business Association - for the positive impact that its programme of events has on the economy of the town - including The Great Framlingham Sausage Festival, Heritage Open days, a Christmas and Charity Market.
- RUNNERS UP: myFestival & Ufford Park Woodbridge
Services to the community (group) sponsored by Suffolk Coastal Norse
- WINNER: Leiston Town Pastors - for looking after people who are in a vulnerable state late at night, particularly those who have been out drinking in the town centre.
- RUNNERS UP: Kesgrave Town Councillors & Poppy’s Pantry
Services to the community (individual) sponsored by Places for People
- WINNER: Maggie Lusher - for transforming Kesgrave Library into a thriving and much-loved community facility which meets the needs of children and families in the area
- RUNNERS UP: Ron Spore & Ken Green
Big Bang Award sponsored by EDF Energy
- WINNER: Student Life Suffolk CIC - for creating a framework that enables students to immerse themselves in all aspects of producing a high quality, student led print & digital publication.
- RUNNER UP: AHP Suffolk
Club of the Year sponsored by Ufford Park
- WINNER: Felixstowe & Walton United FC - for winning 40 out of 50 league matches, attracting nearly 8000 spectators to the 25 home league games, doubling match-day income and dramatically increasing the takings over the bar and clubhouse through social events that bring the club together.
- RUNNERS UP: Felixstowe Road Runners & Woodbridge Shufflers
Great Idea Award sponsored by Suffolk Coastal District Council
- WINNER: David Button Independent Funeral Directors - for forming ‘The Friendship Circle’ to prove grief doesn’t have to be lonely - and invited bereaved ladies to attend a 'get together' coffee morning which is now a well-attended monthly event.
- RUNNERS UP: Jacky Carpenter & Sophie Ayers, & The Organising Committee of MH100 Event
Health & Wellbeing sponsored by De Vere Care
- WINNER: AHP Suffolk - for actively working with local educational institutions in the past few months to promote physiotherapy to students.
- RUNNERS UP: Art for Cure & Kesgrave Junior Parkrun
People Development sponsored by David Button Independent Funeral Directors
- WINNER: Poppy’s Pantry – for maintaining a profitable commercial business through the products it sells, while benefiting the community through the employment and progression opportunities it provides for people with disabilities and/or disadvantages.
- RUNNERS UP: The Rock Project & Lofty Heights
Team of the Year sponsored by Ian Culf Roofer & Builder
- WINNER: Homestart in Suffolk - for securing £200,000 of funding - awarded in recognition of the service that volunteers provide to local families, and for recruiting and training an additional 27 people, making a team of 110 volunteers.
- RUNNERS UP: Art for Cure Events Team & Leiston Town Pastors
Enabling Communities Award sponsored by Suffolk Coastal District Council
- WINNER: Deben Community Farm – for their work with young people to build awareness and understanding of how food is produced. They work with schools and families and create opportunities for disadvantaged individuals to gain social and practical skills by undertaking tasks on the farm.
- RUNNERS UP: Kesgrave Computer Club, The Long Shop Museum & Aldeburgh Play Area