Home > Business > Licensing > Animal licensing > Dangerous wild animals

Dangerous wild animals

To protect the safety of the animal and the public, A licence is required to keep a dangerous wild animal as specified under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.

Licence conditions

Please note: There is no provision in the Act to transfer the ownership of a Licence from one person to another. Therefore if you are intending to purchase a currently licensed premises, you will need to apply, pay for and obtain a new Licence.

Who can apply?

Any person aged 18 years or older who is not disqualified from keeping any dangerous wild animal.

Is planning permission required?

We recommend that you discuss your proposals with Planning Services to determine whether a planning application is needed.

How long will it take for my application to be assessed?

Once your application has been received, an officer will contact you as soon as possible, and within 28 days. The amount of time taken to determine the application will range depending on a number of factors, such as availability of a veterinary surgeon for the initial inspection, and the amount of work required to comply with the licence conditions.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. A dangerous wild animal must not be kept without a licence.

How do I apply for a licence?

How much does a licence cost?

  • £410

How long does a licence last?

Two years from the date the licence is granted.

What can I do if my licence application is refused?

You can apply to the Magistrates' Court if your application is refused.

Public register of dangerous wild animals

Suffolk Coastal register of dangerous wild animals Waveney register of dangerous wild animals