Home > Business > Licensing > Other licences > Street trading in Waveney

Street trading in Waveney

Street trading is defined as the selling or offering for sale of any article in the street. This includes food such as burgers, kebabs, doughnuts etc. or other things such as household items.

This is covered by the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982.

All streets in the area are designated as either prohibited, licence or Consent Streets. This means that any person who wishes to sell items from a trailer or stall in a street must first obtain a Street Trading Consent or Licence from the Council.

You do not need a street trading consent or licence if you are:

  • trading as a Pedlar under licence issued by a Police Authority
  • a market trader operating at a licensed market venue
  • a news vendor selling only newspapers and periodicals
  • If you are trading on private land you may not need a consent. To confirm the situation you are advised to contact us, using the details above. The landowner may need planning permission and you are advised to contact the Council's Planning Office.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline canĀ give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.