Home > Environment > Environmental protection > Environmental permitting

Environmental permitting

Local Authority Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999
The Environmental Permitting Regulations (England & Wales) Regulations 2010
Permit Reference: SCDC/WPP/A2/11/001

Advertisement of a new bespoke application for an Environmental Permit under the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 (as amended)

You must have an environmental permit if you operate a regulated facility in England or Wales.

Regulated facilities include:

  • Installations or mobile plant which carry out listed activities.
  • Waste operations.
  • Mining waste operations.
  • Radioactive substances activity.
  • Water discharge activity.
  • Groundwater activity.

An installation is a stationary technical unit used for listed activities, such as a self-contained building, permanent structure or fixed plant. Mobile plant is plant that can be moved and is used for listed activities.

You can be fined or sent to prison if you operate a regulated facility without an environmental permit.

What are listed activities?

Listed activities include:

  • Chemicals - manufacturing chemicals, pharmaceuticals or explosives, storing chemicals in bulk.
  • Energy - burning fuel, gasification, liquification and refining activities.
  • Metals - manufacturing and processing metals.
  • Minerals - manufacturing lime, cement, ceramics or glass.
  • Waste - incinerating waste, operating landfills, recovering waste.
  • Solvents - using solvents.
  • Other - manufacturing paper, pulp and board, treating timber products, coating, treating textiles and printing, manufacturing new tyres, intensive pig and poultry farming.

Listed activities are divided into three categories: Part A(1), Part A(2) and Part B.

Part A(1) processes - Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (IPPC)
The Environment Agency regulates A(1) activities, which are the larger more polluting and complex industries (power stations for example). Part A(1) permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, including:

  • Accident prevention.
  • Emissions to air, land and water.
  • Energy efficiency.
  • Noise, vibration and heat.
  • Raw materials consumption.
  • Waste reduction.

Part A(2) processes - Local Authority Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (LA-IPPC)
Local authorities regulate A(1) activities which include emissions to air, land and water and the impacts of noise, waste and energy efficiency but tend to be less complex than A(1) activities.

Part B processes - Local Authority Pollution Prevention and Control (LAPPC)
Local authorities regulate Part B processes which include emissions to air only. Part B permits control activities that have less potential to cause pollution and include activities such as vehicle re-spraying, crematoria, small foundries, coating processes and unloading of petrol.

Local authorities deal with about 80 different types of installation including glassworks and foundries, rendering plant and maggot breeders, petrol stations and concrete crushers, sawmills and paint manufacturers.

Who can apply for a permit?

You can only apply for an environmental permit if you control the operation of a regulated facility. If you are unsure whether you need an environmental permit please contact the Environmental Protection team.

Who do I apply to?

The permit your business requires depends on the specific processes involved and resulting emissions. Permits are available from the Environment Agency or the local authority depending upon the category your business falls within.

You should apply to the Environment Agency if you operate:

  • Part A(1) installation or mobile plant.
  • Waste mobile plant.
  • Waste operations, including those carried out at a Part B installation or by Part B mobile plant (unless the waste operation is a Part B activity).
  • Mining waste operation.
  • A radioactive substances activity.
  • A water discharge activity.
  • A groundwater activity.

You should apply to the local authority in whose area your regulated facility is situated where you operate Part A(2) installations or mobile plant or Part B installations or mobile plant carrying on activities other than those which fall into the above categories.

How do I apply?

Details of how to apply for permits issued by the Environment Agency are available on its website.

Part A(2) and Part B application forms are available from the Environmental Protection team.

Public register of environmental permits

A public register of environmental permit applications and permits granted by the Council is held by Suffolk Coastal at the following location:

Environmental Protection Team (Public Register)
Suffolk Coastal District Council,
Melton Hill,
Woodbridge IP12 1AU.

You can inspect this register free of charge during normal office hours. You may obtain a copy of documents on the register although a charge will be made to cover the costs of any copying.