Home > Housing > Privately rented housing > Houses in multiple occupation (HMOs)

Houses in multiple occupation (HMOs)

A House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) is a property which is occupied by a number of people that are not living together as a family unit.  This could include student accommodation or a shared house or lodging arrangement. It can also include more established properties including bedsits, properties with shared bathrooms and kitchens, etc.

This type of accommodation is classed a ‘higher risk’ that an average family home due to the types of living arrangements. Larger HMOs require a licence to control issues such as fire risk, anti-social behaviour and overcrowding.

Do I need a Licence?

Do I need planning permission?

If you are thinking about converting your premises to an HMO, whether large or small, you first need to consult our Planning Team who will advise whether you will also need to change the use of the property.

Further information