Home > Leisure > Fishing


Where can I go fishing?

The council owns and maintains waters where angling is permitted:

  • Beccles Quay (1 November to 14 March)
    Weekend matches during this period are to subject to application and approval by the authority. Please contact Beccles Harbourmaster for further information.
  • Nicholas Everitt Park (adjacent to Oulton Broad)
  • Kirkley Fen Park
  • Slater's Pond (off Monckton Avenue)
  • Other fisheries can be found through the Environment Agency.

We remind all anglers that the closed season is 15 March to 15 June inclusive and applies to all council owned waters.

Legal Considerations

Anyone aged 12 years or over who fishes for salmon, trout, freshwater fish or eels in England and Wales is required by law to have an Environment Agency Rod Fishing Licence. This entitles the licensee to use a rod and line to fish. Rod licences differ from permits (often referred to as tickets or day tickets), which give permission to fish a particular water or waters and are issued by fishery owners, angling clubs etc.