Home > Waste > Waste collection and disposal > Commercial waste

Commercial waste

Our partner, Norse, offer a complete waste and recycling service to cover all of your business needs effectively.

Their wide range of recycling options can help your business to help the environment and may also save you money.

Flexible collection options and bin sizes will meet the needs of your business, however large or small.

Norse offer a comprehensive range of recycling options for your waste, including, if required, separate collection of glass, paper, cardboard and compostable waste.

The wheeled bin services operate on scheduled weekly rounds, so you always know what day your waste will be collected. Collections can be more or less frequent than once a week, to suit your business needs. Being locally based means Norse can respond quickly and flexibly to any unexpected needs your business may have.

Norse provide full duty of care administration and ensure that the service they provide you with complies with all relevant legislation. The company holds a current waste carrier registration and staff hold relevant waste and environmental qualifications. Norse management and supervisory staff are members of the Chartered Institute of Wastes Management.

If you aren't sure of the service you require or would like more advice, they are happy to make a site visit to tell you about the services they could offer your business. Norse contact details.

Disposing of trade waste at household waste recycling centres

Commercial waste can be disposed of at any of the County Council's household waste recycling centres for a charge. The scheme is specifically targeted at small businesses and travelling tradesmen who may not have the resource or the volume of waste to justify a commercial collection.

Waste duty of care

However you dispose of your commercial waste, you must ensure that you complete a waste transfer note relating to that waste. You must keep all waste transfer documentation relating to all waste from your business for a period of two years, and you must make it available for inspection by authorised officers of the Council or the Environment Agency when required to do so. Failure to produce waste transfer documentation when required to do so would be an offence.

If you dispose of your commercial waste through Norse or through the trade waste scheme at the household waste recycling centres, they will ensure that the necessary waste transfer documentation is completed.

If you give your business waste to anyone other than Norse or one of the household waste recycling centres, you must check that they are registered waste carriers. You can do so by calling the Environment Agency on 03708 506 506 and asking for an “instant waste carrier validation check”, or by checking the public register online.

Make sure your business complies with waste regulations

For more information and advice to help you ensure that your business complies with all current waste regulations, visit the GOV.UK website.

Practical advice to enable businesses to comply with their legal requirements  can be found on the Right Waste, Right Place website.

Do you require a Waste Carrier’s Licence?

If you transport waste in the course of your business, including waste generated by yourself in the course of your work, then you will need to register as an authorised Waste Carrier with the Environment Agency.

From January 2014 any business that normally transports their own waste must register as a lower-tier waste carrier to comply with recent changes to the England and Wales Waste Regulations.

Registering in the lower tier normally costs nothing and lasts indefinitely, unless your situation changes. A fine of up to £5,000 could be issued to any business not registered who is found to be carrying any waste.

Officers of the Council and the Environment Agency may carry out roadside checks of any vehicle suspected of carrying trade waste.