Premises licences

All premises providing a licensable activity need a licence. Licensable activities are:

  • Retail sale of alcohol
  • Supply of alcohol by a private members club
  • Provision of 'regulated entertainment' (which includes live and recorded music, the performance of dance, indoor sporting events, the performance of plays, and the exhibition of films)
  • Provision of late night refreshment (hot food and hot drink) between 11pm and 5am


The cost of a premises licence depends on the rateable value band of your premises. You can find out what this is from the Valuation Office website. For each rateable value band there is a fee. In addition to this you will also need to pay an annual maintenance fee to the council. 

Find out the fees applicable to you at

Help and advice for applicants

Please contact us if you would like to discuss your application, if you have any questions about making an application or are finding the process difficult to understand. You can also make an appointment to visit the Council offices if you would like us to go through your application before you submit it.

Application forms

Premises licence application forms are available from the GOV.UK website.

Please note that application forms can be filled in electronically and emailed to us. If you would rather fill in your application by hand, please print out the form and complete it using black ink and block capitals. This is important because the form will be scanned.

Download templates for the production of press and public notices
New premises licence application press notice template New premises licence application public notice template
Certificate of posting notice and press advertisement

Changes to a licence

The most common changes to existing premises licences are: