Home > Housing > Council housing tenants > Rent and rent arrears

Rent and rent arrears

You can pay your rent by monthly direct debit to make payment more convenient. We offer a choice of payment dates for either the 1st or the 15th of the month.

Simply download a Direct Debit mandate form, complete the relevant details and then send it back to us.

You should allow at least 15 working days for the direct debit to become effective. Direct debit is a safe and secure way to pay. Don't forget to pay your rent in the period between submitting your direct debit form and the date that your first direct debit is due.

Rent arrears

You must keep your Rent Officer informed of any difficulties you have in paying your rent. We will always try and help you or offer advice and refer you to where to go for help or addition support.

If you ignore letters sent or contact made from our officers, or bury your head in the sand, you could end up loosing your home. If you do not pay your rent, you cannot keep your home.

However, at all stages we want to avoid taking legal action against you, and we will discuss with you an arrangement for paying the arrears by instalments. If we cannot do that or if you fail to keep to a payment agreement, we will take further action to recover the debt.

The important thing is to get advice before rent arrears become too large.

If you do not deal with the debt it is probable that your Rent Officer will take action through the court. Last year we evicted 15 tenants for rent arrears, so it is important to understand that it is a sanction that the council will use.

Nine reasons not to fall behind with your rent

  1. The council's Rent Enforcement Team, through the County Court, will start legal action
  2. You risk eviction from your home
  3. You will have to pay the additional costs of any County Court hearing
  4. You will not have any improvements carried out on your home
  5. A Possession Order can affect your credit rating
  6. You will not be able to complete a mutual exchange or transfer
  7. You could be prevented from buying your home in the future
  8. If you are evicted from your home, the council has no statutory duty to rehome you
  9. We will use debt recovery agencies to trace you to pay your outstanding debts.  

Where to seek advice

Free, independent advice can be sought from the following organisations:

We have a dedicated Rent Officer, ready to help, if you live in one of our properties. It is important that they are kept informed.