Minor works grants (fast track)
Who is eligible?
Minor works grants are available to home owners on a low income.
Low income is defined as:
- in receipt of a means tested benefit or Council Tax Reduction
- households having a combined household annual income of no more than £30,000 gross, before housing costs and where benefits are counted towards this figure or
- have a combined household income of no more than £15,000 after deducting housing costs (mortgage, council tax)
What works can be considered?
- Warm Homes initiatives - top up grants to fill the gap between other funding and the total cost of works.
- Out of hospital repairs grants to enable a patient to be discharged safely or to avoid a hospital admission.
- Decluttering of a home supported by a social care or health practitioner and where no repairs are needed.
How much help might I get?
The minimum grant is £500 and the maximum is £5000.
Do I have to repay the grant?
If you sell, transfer the property or move, then you have to pay back the grant, but it will be interest free unless you break certain conditions. For example, you will be charged interest if you provide false or misleading information or if you do not repay the grant within six months of a demand. Full details are included in the deed of agreement that you will be required to sign.
These conditions last for five years from payment of the grant.
All grants offered are subject to available budget levels and must help to meet the council’s strategic aims in relation to housing matters.