Along with Suffolk County Council, we are taking a joint local authority approach to the challenges and opportunities presented by Sizewell C - the proposed nuclear power station expansion at Sizewell.
EDF Energy’s Sizewell C Stage 1 consultation ended in February 2013.
Since February 2013 the councils have been working jointly in a number of areas:
EDF Energy Sizewell C Stage 2 Consultation ended in February 2017.
EDF Energy’s Sizewell C Stage 3 Consultation ended in March 2019.
EDF Energy’s Sizewell C Stage 4 Consultation ended in September 2019
Sizewell C key milestones
The proposal is being dealt with as a National Significant Infrastructure Project (NSIP). There are 6 key milestones in the planning phase of the proposed new power station:
- Stage 1 Consultation – suite of documents from EDF Energy setting out background and context to the development (21 November 2012 to 6 February 2013).
- Stage 2 Consultation – suite of documents from EDF Energy with details of the overall proposal for the new Sizewell C nuclear power station as well as documents for the associated developments needed to support the construction (23 November 2016 to 3 February 2017).
- Stage 3 consultation – gives a greater amount of technical information on the final proposal for the development (4 January to 29 March 2019).
- Stage 4 Consultation – an additional stage focusing on delivery of materials to the site, use of land and the management of local ecology (18 July to 27 September 2019).
- Submission of Development Consent Order (DCO) to the Secretary of State – EDF Energy submitted their application for DCO to the Planning Inspectorate on the 27 May 2020, the Planning Inspectorate have 28 days, until 24 June 2020 to determine whether or not to accept the application for examination. Up to date information on the project can be found on the Planning Inspectorate website.
- Decision by the Secretary of State – following its assessment, the Planning Inspectorate will make a recommendation to the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State will make their final decision within 3 months of receiving the recommendation.