What, Who and How Matrix
Two questions are asked against each activity identified as helping to deliver the desired end result:
- What do we need to carry out this activity?
- What resources are already available in the community?
(if asset mapping has been undertaken then the second question should be easy to answer)
Step by Step Approach
Develop a matrix by agreeing the resource headings and the scoring units. The resource headings could include:
- Human resources - people, networks and groups, volunteers (formal and informal), skilled and unskilled labour
- Natural resources - land, water, green spaces and others
- Technical knowledge - depending on the project but could include legal, financial, fundraising, business planning, administration
- Supplies - any supplies or equipment needed
- Money – additional funding required to deliver the activity
Use your scale to identify which of these resources is already available in the community and which need to be found elsewhere. Include any external resources that are needed e.g. training.